Annotated Bibliographies

How I have met the course learning objectives:

• I learned how to locate research sources in the library’s databases or archives and on the internet and evaluate them for credibility, accuracy, timeliness, and bias.
  • I applied my knowledge of citations.
  • I realized the importance of analyzing sources for accuracy and credibility.

My Annotated Bibliographies:

Kamilla Razhabova

11/19/18

FIQWS 10108 HA16

Professor Poe

Deresiewicz, William. “Community and Cognition in ‘Pride and Prejudice.’” ELH, vol. 64, no. 2, 1997, pp. 503–535, www.jstor.org/stable/30030146

This source emphasizes the significance of the community, depicted in Pride and Prejudice, that produces the protagonist’s plot. Deresiewicz argues that the community is one of the narrative’s principal figures, even though one might find it strange that the protagonist, Elizabeth, is not the center of the narrative. The first few chapters describe the community of Pride and Prejudice. Elizabeth’s emergence as the heroine of the narrative is not seen until chapter six. Deresiewicz further validates his claim by providing the sufficient amount of evidence from the narrative. The community is not merely a set of social norms and activities, but also a set of mental practices that promote its linear thinking.

Deresiewicz delivers information in a factual way, maintaining an objective tone. For example, he shows how Elizabeth has to step outside of the community in order to mature and fall in love with Mr. Darcy that she initially criticizes. As a result, her union with Mr. Darcy leads to the creation of a new community, which has major structural differences from the one portrayed at the beginning of the narrative. This source’s purpose is to notify its audience about the communal expectations and activities that lead to Elizabeth’s resistance. It is useful because it explores the relationship between Elizabeth and her community even with the use of literary devices, such as irony and syllogism. Such evidence could support my claim in my researched argumentative essay. I will compare and contrast the community of Pride and Prejudice to that of Bridget Jones’s Diary. Deresiewic’s analysis of Elizabeth’s chronological actions could possibly help me illustrate the early feminism of Pride and Prejudice.

Gamble, Sarah. “Growing up single: the postfeminist novel.” Studies in the Literary Imagination, vol. 39, no. 2, 2006, p. 61+. Literature Resource Center, http://link.galegroup.com.ccny-proxy1.libr.ccny.cuny.edu/apps/doc/A172906651/LitRC?u=cuny_ccny&sid=LitRC&xid=936ac8ab.

In this article, Sarah Gamble argues that postfeminist ideologies’ influence on some works of contemporary fiction results in the careless attitude of postfeminist heroines, whose happiness depends on the romantic fulfillment. The goal is to inform its audience about how postfeminism hasn’t changed the romantic ideology, even though it has given women the right to choose. A man’s role remains essential in deciding how a woman validates herself. Gamble supports her argument by analyzing some novels that illustrate the effects of the postfeminist wave. One of such novels is Bridget Jones’s Diary, needed for my own essay. Instead of recognizing the importance of women’s achievements in the battle for equal rights in the past, it illustrates the protagonist’s desire to find Mr. Right to feel accomplished. Gamble maintains an objective tone, which makes her article more credible. In order to strengthen her argument, she analyzes two novels, illustrating the progression of the postfeminist movement, since both novels are written in different time periods. Gamble’s analysis of Bridget Jones’s Diary is helpful because it provides evidence for the portrayal of feminism of the twentieth century in my essay.

Chang, Hui Chun. “The Impact of the Feminist Heroine: Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice.” International Journal of Applied Linguistics and English Literature [Online], 3.3 (2014): 76-82. http://dx.doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.3n.3p.76

In this research paper, published as an article, Chang argues that Elizabeth’s feminist character is only seen in comparison to her sisters, Caroline, Jane and Charlotte, in Pride and Prejudice. Elizabeth’s sisters abide by the socially foisted gender norms of the eighteenth century, while Elizabeth challenges this gender inequality, realizing that her decision will be criticized. Her positive impact over the rich man, Mr. Darcy, that adjusts his prideful and ignorant nature is a strong evidence for demonstrating the ability to overturn the patriarchal English society. Moreover, Chang’s analysis includes early feminist theories, which could be helpful in the introduction of early feminism in my essay. Marxist Feminist Theory is based on the male-dominated view of the society. It recognizes the toxic social relations between men and women, economic inequality and dependence on men as the root of this gender inequality, prevailing in the society of Pride and Prejudice. Also, this source compares Elizabeth to Charlotte. Compared to Elizabeth, Charlotte believes that giving as much attention to a man as possible is vital if she aims at winning his affection. To financially secure herself, Charlotte would sacrifice her happiness. I am planning to juxtapose Elizabeth and Charlotte’s ideas for a final conclusion. Thus, the source provides insights into the behavior of Elizabeth, comparing her to other representatives of English society. Even though Chang mostly uses supportive evidence, lacking the critics’ view, his argument remains strong due to his impartial tone.